Went to Jing’s Anthropology class to watch a “postmodern documentary” yesterday. It’s a film in 1982, called “Koyaaniqatsi” (Life Out of Balance). Interesting~~ and depressing too… haha. So basically they show you lots of fast- or slow- motioned picture of many things with some gloomy music (by Philip Glass) as background for the entire movie – from inhabited deserts, mountains, clouds, to cities, bombs, skyscrapers, crowded places with many people moving, sausage factory…and the creepiest of all: lots of old flats all with broken windows…( look at the pictures below.. :p ) I don’t really know what the producer is trying to show us lar.. I think it’s all about destruction and construction…. Don’t know why everything looks a bit scary, let it be cities or some no man’s land, a run-down house or a shopping mall, beautiful or ugly. Somehow the bird-eye view of the highways and cars at night looks like a lot of bacteria moving, and Jing said the cities just look like human bodies …
Anyways.. It’s second week of my last term in University of Toronto. It doesn’t feel like it’s just second week though… Am I hoping the time to past fast or slow down now? I don’t really know… The courses so far are quite interesting. I took a course all about sleep, and 3 courses that is related to pregnancy and embryology. There is lots of overlapping so far… and you learn all about anything that can goes wrong when you have a baby… even the professor is apologetic “I’m not discouraging you all to have babies…” funny~~ Anyways hope the courses don’t get harder and harder….

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home