what I want...
Recently I've been regretting studying life science (Particularly specialist -even worse than major- in physiology, if I chose nutrition life would be easier) sometimes...
4 years ago the younger me was too afraid of the word commitment and I chose a path that will supposedly lead me to more possibilities...
Well ya, those possibilities that are still possibilities..
One day my uncle told us a story, "Once there was a father-in-law telling a guy, 'you must marry my daughter if not I will throw you into jail for 30 years.' The guy then married his girlfriend under this threat. And then one day after many years, the guy suddenly got depressed and he told his wife.. 'If I didn't marry you 30 years ago, I would have already been a free man today" I don't know what my uncle is trying to tell us about marriage...
But will I one day find myself trapped when all I do is to seek freedom and avoid commitment?
Will I one day lose all choices if I keep holding on to all the possible possibilities and not deciding what I want to do?
I start to feel that time become "smaller" now.
How many months of salary can buy me a car, or buy me another certificates, how many years I need to work to have enough experience for the job I want. How many years I need to be in a place just to let me be in another place later... Maybe people don't think like that. They plan and everything works out well... no panic.
But for me. suddenly life is short since you have so much to do, to get to where you want or to get away from what you don't want. Life is long, too long that that I will gain what I don't have and also lose what I have when I reach the other end.
My plan after my graduation is pretty simple. Just take a break from studying, come back to work and gain experience. Never think of how long the break is gonna be. What experience do I actually want to get... I just don't want my parents to worried and be financially independent. Totally over-simplify the whole thing.
When I was young, I am very afraid of "reality" because I always heard ppl say “a=a, b=b... 可是,现实是残酷的”. It's like 现实 is a monster that will purposely come out and eat up all your dreams. So it's like no need to dream la, for some reasons the dream won't happen one... If I'm considered more grown up now, I think that 现实 is not as scary as I thought. But it's like the version of your imagination influenced by a lot of unexpected, maybe secondary yet significant factors and situations. too real but too complicated to be included in your dreams. So maybe if I dream harder and include more details in my dream, my dream will have a better quality...
But then again, maybe I just choose not to be realistic until reality hits me.

3 Comments:
Dear Phei Yee,
What's done is done. But even now, don't let what you've chosen to study become your prison. The longer you feel that you have to find a job that is defined/related to your degree, the longer you will be trapped.
Don't be scared. Make a choice. Step out, and you may be pleasantly surprised at how much you can do! If you like, I can give you a tip on how to deal with this in interviews so it doesn't become a liability *wink*.
Luv,
Ann
What is most important is that when a choice is presented everyday, when an opportunity is given, when someone who needs help comes our way, and when we're blessed with the fortune and talent to contribute, do we take it and give it our all.
Do not be afraid to live at peace with your past, and be courageous to hope for the future. As for today, it is within our reality to be able to make every single decision the best we can. Let every choice you make today mean something for someone out there, including yourself.
hi Phei Yee :)
I just wanted to say.........the guy wouldn't know that he would have preferred the 30 years jail time if he had not married the woman. Or if he had chosen to go to jail, then he might have regretted not marrying the girl.
Life is about choices. And wanting things that we don't have. hahaha...But if we can see clearly the things that we already have, then we might realize that we have everything we ever wanted right in front of us~
See the things in front of you and work with them to the best of your ability, rather then always looking elsewhere and feel despaired that you are inadequate and without a lot of things.
hahaa...thats just my two-cents worth :) Hope u dont mind (^.^)
cheers,
Sherry
Post a Comment
<< Home